Back in Action...

|
So it's been like five months. Five months since I've even thought about writing something. At least, since I thought about writing something on here for all to see. But that's one of the great things about the internet and about blogging. They never go away.

A lot of people did this last year. It was called #best09. This year, it's called #reverb10. In yet another honest attempt to figure out if writing is something I really, truly love and something I would want to do everyday for the rest of my life, you're going to get a blog post every day for the month of December. EVERY DAY. Good thing these #reverb10 people are sending me prompts. This girl needs some structure.

Obviously, it's December 3rd now. Or it will be in 44 minutes. And so I present for your viewing pleasure the prompts from yesterday and today all rolled into one post.

Prompt #1: One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

2010: Complacency
     According to the dictionary (yes, I used a dictionary. An actual one. On paper. ), complacency means being content with one's life. I disagree. I define complacency as being just happy enough most of the time that there is no need to introduce challenge into one's life. And I think that's kind of a bad thing.

Which brings me to...

2011: Aspire
     There are a lot of things I aspire to. My goals change daily. Unfortunately, I don't think I have actually accomplished any goal since graduating from college in 2006. And so, 2011 is the year that changes.

Prompt #2: Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? 

Where should I start? Like I said, it's been five months since I've really written anything. And a whole lot of that time has been spent on entertainment. I'm a big fan of entertainment; I think I get it from my grandparents. They cannot spend more that one day sitting at home, doing nothing. If they're not at work, they're in Island Park. Or Jackpot. Or on a cruise (without me, which is very rude). Or playing bingo. Or snowmobiling. They just always like to be entertained. Which is my point.

For me, Monday's mean bowling. Tuesday's mean trivia. And drinking. Sometimes a lot of drinking. Which leads to lazy Wednesdays, sometimes with some mentoring thrown in, and always ending in family dinner. Thursday's mean closing at work, as do some Fridays. Saturday's mean anything from birthday parties to crying at a bar to reading a book at home with my cat. And Sunday's mean resting. Catching up on life so the craziness can start all over again the next day. I know that a lot of people have way more demanding schedules than I do. But like I said in prompt #1, I am usually content with this routine. Routines are good. Until you become complacent, which is my word of the year.


As for making more time for writing, it's something that can be easily done. A little less sleeping, a little less HIMYM and boom-you'll get a blog post a day for a month. As for switching up the routine, though, I don't really think it's that easy. Like I said, routines are good. They keep life going. And blogging is writing about life. And I'm not quite ready to stop life as I know it. But that's kind of why I decided to do #reverb10. It gives me a chance to look back over the past year, separate what I like and don't like, what's working and what's not, and hopefully head into 2011 ready to start the rest of my life.

See you tomorrow.

1 comments:

t and a said...

Complacent is a good word for you.